Student News Campus News City News News

Second UoY Coronavirus case confirmed as internet hoax

Facebook forum 'Yorfess III' published reports of Constantine block C2 being placed on lockdown in the early hours of February 4.

Image Credit: Constantine College

At around 00:00 this morning (Tuesday 4 February) rumours began circulating over fears of another Coronavirus case on campus. Originating via popular Facebook forum 'Yorfess III', it was reported through two separate published anonymous submissions that Constantine accommodation block C2 had been placed "on lockdown".

The official University of York Coronavirus alerts page provided no update relating to any form of Coronavirus concern in Constantine or anywhere else on campus.

This morning, Constantine acting manager Jonny Exon confirmed "there are no concerns about any Constantine students in relation to the Coronavirus. No investigation or lockdown is taking place."

Exon then wrote that "the University is operating as normal", as per the Vice-Chancellor's statement last Saturday (February 1) in response to the first two cases of Coronavirus in York, one of which was confirmed to be a student at the University of York.

This is the second Coronavirus hoax in the past seven days on the forum, after posts were published reporting "people in hazmat suits, ambulances and police are at Wentworth" on Sunday evening.

The University officially confirmed that the ambulance crew called to campus was not related to the Cornoavirus case.