City News News

Thursdays’ official club night to be hosted in Kuda

Fibbers Toft Green venue closes with “extremely short notice.”

Image Credit: Carlos Mota Jr

York Parties’ official Thursday club night is set to be hosted by Kuda as its old Fibbers venue suddenly closes. The Toft Green venue was earmarked for demolition to make way for a new hotel last May, however a delay to those plans led to a temporary reprieve for the music venue.

Breaking the news the YUSU Activities Officer Ollie Martin said that “sadly that’s the end of Fibbers,” he added that it would “be sorely missed.” He also said that the closure occurred with extremely short notice.

Students at the university have had mixed reactions following this news, Nouse spoke to Sophie Porton a third year Natural Sciences student who said: “I’m upset at the decision, Fibbers was probably my favourite club night. I think it was unique and York’s nightlife will be worsened by having two club nights in the exact same venue.”

However, Daniel Thornton, also a third year student at the University of York stated: “my main problem with the Fibbers’ nights was the venue and especially how it used to get too hot. It’ll be interesting to see if the move to Kuda will help improve the event.”

Trying to soothe fears that the move to Kuda would create a “clone of [Kuda] Tuesdays,” the Activities Officer reassured students that he was working closely with York Parties over content. He also encouraged students to give their feedback and ideas to him at o.martin@yusu.org.

The closure of Fibbers leaves York with just three remaining nightclubs, down from the five it had this time last year. However, in an ironic twist Thursday Club Nights could end up returning to Fibbers original venue at Stonebow House. Upon finding out that existing plans by the buildings developers had been dropped, Aaron Mellor of Tokyo Industries (which owns Fibbers), said he had reached out to the building developers with the possibility of Fibbers returning home, to its original venue. But for the time being, Yorks’ night scene is one venue down.

If you have any specific concerns over York’s nightlife that you’d like to raise, or a story for Nouse, then please get in touch at News@nouse.co.uk

Joshua A. Price Posted on Saturday 25 Jan 2020

Thank you for sharing to us.there are many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post.I would like to join your blog anyway so please continue sharing with us. security