Campus News News

Just 54% of students get first choice in campus lottery.

Halifax and Constantine still lagging behind on application rates

Image Credit: Annie Watson

Nouse research has revealed that a large proportion of students do not get their first choice of rooms when applying for University accommodation. Although the University claims to provide new undergraduate students with owned, or “University-approved accommodation,” our findings raise questions about whether the undergraduate students are being provided with rooms that are both within students’ price brackets, and sufficiently high quality to justify the larger price tags of on-campus accommodation for students.

The University says it provides just 54 per cent of students with their first choice of accommodation, and just 67 per cent with their first or second. For students who picked their accommodation by college, some will have undoubtedly found their band either dis-appointing or financially straining. 123 students have swapped or transferred rooms this academic year.

Findings are likely to reinvigorate debate about the most popular colleges: Halifax and Constantine have consistently lagged behind other colleges in terms of application rates for many years.

In response to a request for comment, YUSU Community wellbeing Officer Steph Hayle said: “The University should focus on creating a diverse portfolio of accommodation to allow for a true choice from students over the type and cost of accommodation they choose. I couldn’t say for certain but there could well be a correlation between accommodation application numbers and these complaints.

“It is my understanding that they are now making changes to ensure greater transparency about the cost setting process.” Nouse contacted the University regarding this, and their representative told us: “The figures quoted include all undergraduate students that applied, including those through clearing and late applicants, which will mean that those applying later than others may not always get their first choice.”

Casey White Posted on Saturday 25 Jan 2020

Very cool! I am a student and therefore I know how hard it is sometimes to find the right information in the public domain, and thanks to https://freebooksummary.com/cross-by-langston-hughes-essay this cool platform now everyone has the opportunity to get useful information in a few clicks!

Anonymous Posted on Saturday 25 Jan 2020

campus lottery is such a good thing for the students to evaluate their luck .By this lottery they can make so many works to do. https://yallacleaning.com/cleaning-dubai/

Joshua A. Price Posted on Saturday 25 Jan 2020

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog and will often come back in the future. children's magician