Food & Drink Food & Drink Features Muse

Festive Drinks To Warm This Winter

Image Credit: image credit: Shambles Bar

Halloween and Bonfire Night are officially over and with that, the festive season is just around the corner. With York being famous for its Christmas festivities, no one will be able to escape the celebrations (and the tourists) that descend on the city in the lead up to Christmas. The cold air and winter spirit both bring a new craving for a hot drink to battle the chill. Whether it’s for a delicious hot chocolate or a winter-themed cocktail, there is something for everyone. With this in mind, here are some of my favourite places to catch a festive drink this holiday season. If you’re looking for an excuse to leave the library and seek refuge in one of York's many fine establishments, this is your calling.

Hot Chocolate

First, let’s chat about chocolate. A good hot chocolate is definitely one of my favourite ways to warm up in the infamous northern winter. Perfect for when you need to defrost after an afternoon in the city, Harlequin Cof-fee & Tea House in Kings Square is great for anyone with a sweet tooth. Their Hot Chocolate Deluxe is loaded with cream, marshmallows, and dusted with chocolate for only £4. A cosy, first-floor coffee shop, it’s a great way to warm you up this winter and has some great cakes and treats to go along with your drink of choice.

Christmas Cocktails

This winter season, Slug and Lettuce have brought out a set of Christmas-themed cocktails that are the best way to start a festive night out with the company of your choice. Revamping some of their most popular cocktails, they have introduced choices like a Festive Ab Fab served in a snow globe-shaped glass. Their best introduction must be the Santa's Tattootini with an edible tattoo on top. Along with this, they have a festive mocktail called the Espresso Boobtini which donates25p of every order to the charity Coppafeelwhich encourages young people to check their breasts. Altogether a great place to build your beer jacket if you’re out in the evening.

Alcoholic Warmers

Mulled wine, mulled cider... anything mulled instantly just means Christmas. The Habit is a quirky café and bar which has perfected the ‘hot drinks but make it boozy’ range in York. Found on Goodramgate, their mulled wine is great for warming up with a traditional Christmas drink. Or, if you fancy trying a Christmas twist on a summer classic, then why not try their mulled Rekorder-lig cider? However, the best bit about this independent café is actually the live music you can enjoy when you sip your drinks. I suggest you head down on a Friday if you want to join in the festivities in the best way possible.

Caffeine Kick

Pretty much anywhere in York has a flavoured syrup to go in your morning latte. However, my personal preference is Cosy Time on Fossgate with its Autumn Warmers. All served with cream and marshmallows and each for £3.45, this place just adds that little bit extra to their drinks. Their toffee nut latte in particular mixes the sweet and bitter of the coffee with the Christmas flair. So, if you are fed up with coffee shops’ ideas of festive drinks being to just shove some pumpkin spice syrup into a coffee, I recommend you try this sweet caféthat really lives up to the cosy’ factor in the title.

Atmosphere and All-rounder

Finally, I want to talk about the Shambles Ski Bar. Perfect for its festive atmosphere and winter warmers this must easily be the best spot to get you into the festive spirit. Whether it’s a salted caramel hot chocolate, mulled wine, or (my personal favourite) theirToffee Apple Hot Cider, this rustic, Scandinavian cabin bar has a whole host of winter drinks for every-one to enjoy. Just remember to wrap up warm as this establishment is found outdoors in the Shambles Market.

2217
Image credit: The Habit