Campus News News

University of York app is in development

MyUoY is currently under development and will be fully available in September 2020

Image Credit: Kārlis Dambrāns

An official University of York app, ‘MyUoY’, is currently under development by the Student App User Group at the University, and is set to be available for download within two months. The new app will aim to make life on campus easier by supporting students while at University.

The app will offer an easy-to-use and accessible platform for students in both social and academic services on campus. Some of the current features that the app will feature are as follows: booking an appointment with or contacting your supervisor within the app, access to the library with the app - in case you forget your student card, and you will be able to print from the app. This will undoubtedly make life on campus easier by allowing easier access to campus services.

Additionally, the University is giving students the opportunity to submit their own ideas for what they want on the app. This democratic move by the University will help to ensure that the app works for students, and provides features which are important to them. Students that wish to make a suggestion can do so by visiting the app development website: https://sites.google.com/york.ac.uk/studentappusers/home?authuser=2.. The website for the development also features a ‘blog’ section, where the team behind the development have documented their weekly progress making the app from the beginning of the process. The team will be hosting showcases and demos for the new app in the foreseeable future, however no specific dates have been given for these.

The app will be available to download in December 2019, and then following an extensive testing and piloting period the full app will be launched in September 2020.

This development of an app specifically for York is not a new tool for Universities to adopt, as many across the UK already have their own app. Our neighbouring university, York St. John, already have a University app called ‘MyYSJ.’ The team behind the app is led by project manager Simon Davis, and the rest of the team are either experts in the field of technology, or business experts.

Nouse contacted the University for a comment regarding the new app, and they told us:

“The app, called MyUoY, is being developed to give students personalised easy access to University services and information.

“The app will help transform the student experience and facilitate student engagement by giving students access to the information and services needed to help them navigate university life on their own mobile device. Suggestions so far include: campus maps/room finder, timetable access, bus schedules, printing, library, support and advice, and food outlet menus.”

Anonymous Posted on Monday 9 Dec 2019

> Students that wish to make a suggestion can do so by visiting the app development website.

Any chance you could maybe insert a link to this website? This article is the only result for "MyUoY app" on Google.

Matthew King Posted on Monday 9 Dec 2019

Hi, link to the website has been added to the article, thanks for suggesting the addition! (you will need to sign in via your York account to access the site).