Food & Drink Muse

Advent-urous calendars to suit all tastes

Lucy Cooper runs you through some unconventional advent calendars on the market

Image Credit: Booths: Food, wine and grocery

As December approaches, there is one essential decision to be made - which advent calendar should you invest in? In recent years, they have become more and more unique, and you no longer have to settle for bog-standard chocolate behind your calendar doors. Here are some exciting alter-natives to guide you through Advent, for all budgets.

<br data-tomark-pass>

Ilchester Cheese Advent Calendar (£7.99 from Lidl)
For those with a savoury rather than sweet tooth, this calendar contains eight varieties of individually wrapped cheese.You’ll find some classics, like Jarlsberg and Red Leicester, alongside a limited edition Wensleydale and Gingerbread. Appearing on the shelves of all the big supermarkets, this is definitely one to put on your shopping list.

<br data-tomark-pass>

The Naked Marshmallow Christmas Advent Calendar (£19.99 from Amazon)
If you are a fan of gourmet handmade giant marshmallows, you’re going to have a brilliant month with this one. With flavours including s’mores, butterscotch and gingerbread, you can be sure that these won’t be your run of the mill marshmallows. To add to the excitement, this calendar also comes with a hot chocolate spoon on Christmas Day.

<br data-tomark-pass>

Selfridges Festive Mini Mince Pie Advent Calendar (£39.99 from Selfridges)
This might be a bit of an investment, but for mince pie fiends, it is a small price to pay for a month of thrills. You get to experience unusual flavours like almond and chocolate, which you definitely won’t find in super-markets!

<br data-tomark-pass>

Kellogg’s 12 Days of Cereal Advent and Bowl Set (£20 from Debenhams)
Disappointingly, this calendar only lasts for 12 days. However, it deserves a spot for its pure practicality, allowing a true variety of festive breakfast. What’s more, it comes with a vintage cereal bowl; a perfect way to enjoy these classic cereal servings.

<br data-tomark-pass>

The Spicery 12 Curries of Christmas Advent Calendar (£29.95 from The Spicery)
For those of you who prefer a practical advent calendar, this is the perfect way to add some spice to December. Every other day will give you a spice blend and a corresponding recipe for you to flex your culinary muscles.

<br data-tomark-pass>

Joe & Seph’s Gourmet Popcorn Advent Calendar (£25 from Debenhams)
This calendar boasts12 unique flavours, including some calendar exclusives like banoffee pie and chocolate orange. Every day you’ll get a snack-sized taste of this gourmet popcorn, alongside a popcorn joke. Brilliantly festive!

<br data-tomark-pass>

Pukka Christmas Advent Calendar 2019 (£9.99 from Boots)
Keep relaxed this December with a different herbal tea every evening. What better way to kick up your feet after a long day of studying than with an ‘After Dinner’ flavoured tea? A tea advent calendar is nothing new, but for just under £10, this is one of the cheapest on the market.

<br data-tomark-pass>

Whittards Hot Chocolate Advent Calendar for Two (£45 from Whittards)
Unusually, this advent calendar comes with two servings each day, meaning you can share a warming hot chocolate with a friend or lover of your choice (or have two for yourself!) It is slightly on the pricier side, but if you share it with someone, it soon becomes an economical way to get in the festive spirit.

<br data-tomark-pass>

Fever Tree Gin and Tonic Advent Calendar (£60 from Waitrose and Partners)
Add a touch of class to your Advent, with 12 bottles of craft gin and 12 matching Fever-Tree tonics, ensuring your G&T is the perfect tipple. With each gin being a different brand, this December will not get boring!

<br data-tomark-pass>

Iceland Wine Advent Calendar (£45 from Iceland)
This might be on the expensive side for wine, but could be a perfect option to share around for Flatmas! There is no better way to ensure a merry christmas than to have a daily glass of wine. It won’t be an award-winning Pinot Noir, but it will do the job nicely.