Campus News News

This year's RAG week commences

YUSU's official RAG week events began on Monday, and are raising money for BEAT, SASH, and The Snappy Trust

Image Credit: Arian Kriesch

YUSU’S official RAG week began yesterday, 28 October, and will run up until Saturday 02 November. This annual event strives to raise money for a selection of charities, and this year’s proceeds will go to BEAT, SASH and The Snappy Trust.

BEAT is a charity concerned with helping young people with eating disorders, SASH strives to help young people facing homelessness, and The Snappy Trust aims to help empower young people with disabilities. YUSU have organised daily events which will take place across the week in order to raise this much needed funding for the charities.

Some notable events include a sponsored dog petting from 1-3pm at the Vanbrugh Bowl on Wednesday, and on Friday there will be both a Sabb taskmaster at Greggs Place between 12-1pm, and just after this there will be an opportunity for people to abseil down Central Hall, which was successfully used last year as well to raise money.

Nouse contacted YUSU President Samara Jones to give some insight into what YUSU will be doing this year, she told us:

“YUSU will be running a wide range of activities for students to get involved with over the week. Our main event we think students will really enjoy is the Abseil, where Students will have the opportunity to Abseil down Central Hall whilst raising money for charity! We also have lots of other fun events to get involved with, like the “Dance in a day,” - there’s plenty to get involved with!”

The idea of RAG week dates back to the Victorian era, where students would collect rags and use them to make clothes for the poor. It is refreshing to see modern Universities continuing this much needed tradition, and hopefully this year’s RAG week will be just as successful as last year’s.

Students are encouraged to donate and take part in all the events taking place throughout the week.