City News News

Student choir to mark D-Day 75th anniversary and feast day of Alcuin of York

Caelestis, a choir based at St Lawrence Parish Church, will be singing at special services to commemorate the Normandy landings and the namesake of Alcuin College.

Image Credit: St Lawrence PCC

A student choir based at St Lawrence Parish Church on Lawrence Street will be singing at special services in the coming weeks to mark two important events: the 75th anniversary of D-Day and the feast day of Alcuin of York.

On Sunday 19 May at 6pm, Caelestis will commemorate the 1215th anniversary of Alcuin’s death. He was a scholar, clergyman, poet, teacher, and is the namesake of Alcuin College. Refreshments of wine and cake to follow the service.

At the end of term in Week 10, on Saturday June 22, Caelestis will be singing Solemn Choral Matins to commemorate the 75th anniversary of D-Day. Representatives of the Queen, The York Civic Party, and York Normandy veterans are expected to be attending.

In Week 7, on Sunday 2 June, under the direction of Jocelyn Orrell, a third-year Music student of Vanbrugh College, the choir will also perform at Evensong where the music set will be predominantly by women composers.

The choir, directed by Joel Starkie, a third-year Music student of Alcuin College, has sung Evensong regularly on Sundays at 6pm at St Lawrence during University term-time for nearly two years.

The choir mostly consists of current students and recent graduates, and performs a wide repertoire of music from the 15th century to the contemporary.

Commenting on the services ahead, Joel Starkie said: "I’m very excited by the programme of music and services ahead at St Lawrence, which is flourishing from its great position between the city and the university.

"It would be great to see other students from the university come along and enjoy the music and worship at a service at St Lawrence, which we are very proud to play our part in."

All are welcome to attend the services. More information can be found on St Lawrence's website here.