City News News

Fibbers Toft Green venue to be demolished

Fibbers is looking for a new home as its current building will be demolished in August to make way for a new hotel.

Image Credit: Emily Taylor

Fibbers is looking for a new home, as the current Toft Green venue is set to be demolished at the end of summer.

The venue which plays host to York Parties ‘Throwback Thursday’ night, as well as being frequently used as a venue for popular nights such as ‘Soul Candy’ and ‘On& On’ will be demolished after it was sold to developers who intend to build a new hotel on the land.

Tokyo Industries, Fibbers’ parent company, was previously under the impression that the demolition would not be undertaken until 2020; however, the developer has sought vacant possession for the 25 August. YorkMix reports that no planning application for the new hotel due to be developed has yet been submitted to City of York Council.

This will be the second move for Fibbers in five years, it was previously located on Stonebow but moved when the City of York Council took over the freehold of that building. Prior to 2014, the current home of Fibbers was Tokyo nightclub.

Fibbers is also a popular live music venue in York. It was established by Tim Hornsby on Stonebow in 1992 and has played host to artists such as The Killers, Coldplay and Laura Marling.

Speaking to YorkMix, Tim Hornsby, who is now the booker of bands for Fibbers expressed optimism that a new home would be found: “Fibbers has been part of York for 27 years – it is hard to imagine the city without it.

“With so many potential venues in York, we are confident of finding a new home, so Fibbers can keep bringing great music to the city for at least another 30 years.”

Tokyo Industries have expressed a commitment to keeping Fibbers going and are reportedly already scoping out new potential sites for the venue.

While the owners of Fibbers are determined to keep the venue going, the demolition of the Toft Green site will be of sadness to many clubbers and music lovers who have fond memories of the building.