Film & TV Muse Top 5

Top 5 most anticipated films of 2019

The Film & TV Nouse team advise you on what to keep an eye out for this year

5.     The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

Photo Credit: Warner Bros.

The citizens of Bricksburg have to piece themselves together once again to combat invaders from outer space. 50 years ago, who would have thought the world would enjoy watching moving Legos on screen? The fourth in the franchise, this film will be a direct sequel to The Lego Movie (2014). The film's genre is rather complicated, being classified as an upcoming computer-animated musical science fiction comedy. Read that again. 

4.     Us

Photo Credit: Universal Pictures International (UPI)

After Oscar-winning Get Out, Jordan Peele’s next psychological thriller looks to be just as unsettling, when a family is stalked by a group of doppelgängers. Parents take their kids to a serene beach house, where they expect to enjoy themselves in a carefree environment. However, their peacefulness is threatened (in fact shattered to pieces) as tensions rise when some unwanted visitors arrive. Jordan Peele has stated that this film will not necessarily follow in the footsteps of his latest success, but it will instead fully embrace the horror genre, full of masks, monsters and supernatural elements. 

3.     Captain Marvel

Photo Credit: Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures

Of course we needed a Marvel film on the list. Would it even be a new year without one? The next in the blockbuster franchise promises to be as grand and as marvel-ous as the rest, where Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races as Carol Danvers becomes one of the most powerful heroes on the planet. Captain Marvel is the twenty-first film in the Marvel Cinematic University and is confirmed to star Brie Larson and Samuel L Jackson. The film promises to stand out as the franchise's first female-led superhero film. 

2.     Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Photo Credit: Columbia Pictures Corporation

Tarantino strikes back with his ninth film, a mystery crime thriller centred on the Charles Manson family murders. In reality, the film deals with a wider subject. Its IMDb page reads: "A faded TV actor and his stunt double embark on an odyssey to make a name for themselves during the Helter Skelter reign of terror in 1969 Los Angeles." The film will see the epic duo pairing of Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt as they struggle to make their names at the peak of hippy Hollywood. The film will be released on July 26th in the UK.

1.     Dumbo

Visionary Tim Burton directs your favourite elephant flying back into 2019 in live action. Can you think of a more bittersweet combination? We can’t! Dumbo's heartwarming story is as relevant now as it was in 1941. The film will touch on delicate topics such as differences being celebrated, dreams coming true, and the idea of family (whatever its nature) being cherished. While we're just about getting over the fact that someone cleverly decided to remake one of our childhood's most devastating films, we question: Will Tim Burton's eccentric direction pair well with the everyone's beloved and classic big-eared elephant? Probably not. Are we excited to see it? Yes. The film will reach cinemas on March 19th.