Music Music Reviews Muse

Preview: Soul Candy! Milan 1980

Saskia Starritt previews what is expected to be another night of fun, freedom, and expression with Soul Candy

Image: Soul Candy

On Friday October 26th, one of York's most popular alternative nights out, Soul Candy, are hosting their second event of the academic year, and their first of the year in Fibbers.

Soul Candy is unique in its approach to marketing, having each event represent a pit-stop along the journey of the 4 girls who continue to travel across the globe with 'a story that spans four decades of hedonism, excess, and all-out grooviness', according to their Facebook page. Previous stops of the girls' journey have included 'Copacabana 1988', 'Japan 1984', and 'Neon Jungle 1989'.

Tomorrow night, Fibbers will be transformed into 'Soul Candy! Milan 1980' and with it one can expect an amalgamation of glitter, inflatables, and bright lights. Typically, Soul Candy is a night of disco fused with funk and soul, offering a much needed break from the Top 40 and cheesy classics that are often synonymous with York nights out.

There is quite a lot of expectation resting on Soul Candy's shoulders; it's a night that many see as an opportunity to wear their most flamboyant, extravagant clothing and simply get lost in the music. Their many dedicated party-goers will be hoping that 'Milan 1980' delivers on the promise of previous events.