Arts Muse Listings

I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change

Billed as the first musical to be performed in the Drama Barn in "a very long time", hopes were high for this performance of the longest-running off-Broadway musical of all time.

Production: I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change
Venue: Drama Barn
Rating: *****

Marketed as both a comedy and a social commentary, the team behind this version of "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" did a dazzling job of bringing out its comic potential.

This was largely due to standout performances from the cast, all of whom had powerful singing voices, an unnervingly good ability to harmonise, and fantastic comic timing. Especially excellent moments included Michael Hailes' stunning delivery of one of the show's more tender numbers, "Shouldn't I be less in love with you?", Nicola Carter's performance as a pushy mother in the number "Hey there, single gal/guy", Veronica Hare's uncannily realistic portrayal of an old woman ready to love again after the death of her husband in "I can live with that", and above all Ed Lewis-Smith's constantly hilarious performances in many of the scenes - especially his turn as a psychotic murderer near the end of Act One.

The excellent direction from Michael Slater, along with the ever-professional attitude of the great band and the brilliant cast, made this production an unforgettable night at the theatre, and one which has again shown that musicals are just as valuable as 'serious' plays in the world of theatre.